Now, I started this whole thing because I wanted to share my experiences with others. I figured if my life has been this incredible already, then surely there will be just as much excitement to come. If I didn’t start to record things as they happen, then no one would really believe me and I would not be able to keep track accurately.

I haven’t mentioned much about the illness side of my life because it had honestly started to plateau. Many medical experts had suggested this may occur if I became pregnant, although they heavily advised against that actually happening.So of course I had a brief stage of horror where I actually started to wonder if this had happened. But thankfully I missed that boat!

After the last 18 months of blissful health and well being, I started to think it was too good to be true. Six months without any medication and you couldn’t write it better yourself. I woke up early Monday morning with a sore throat. By lunch time I had my period. By 5 o’clock I had 3 red lumps on my upper arm. By dinner three more on my face which were savage and red with a little weeping.

Tuesday morning eight more little blights on my arms and face. The average person wouldn’t read in to this too much, but I knew better. If there were this many and more spreading, with the virus and my lower immune tolerance from the lupus and menstruation, I was just safest to get to my wonderful Doctor Evs. By the time I saw her in the afternoon the count was close to twenty, eleven being on my face. At this point they had all doubled in size, were starting to itch and weeping a little.

Sadly, and not surprising for me, there were not enough symptoms either way to gain a clear diagnosis. I took some cream prescriptions and the direction to come back if they hadn’t gone soon. Within a day there were over 40 lesions on my face and body, all were incredibly itchy and irritating with unbelievable excessive weeping. Needless to say I felt self-conscious and rather upset.

I diligently ignored my instinct to scratch and continued to apply my ointments over the next 3 days. By Saturday my folks were in a panic that I hadn’t asked the doctor the right questions, hadn’t told her everything, Maybe we need a second opinion, or a different cream? Bless them. Mum came up to help me cream up, look after me and escape her duties for a week.

I saw Doctor Evs a week after the lesions appeared, just as they were healing and calming down. This is, I think, typical of everyone that has ever been sick and finally gone to seek medical attention. Still, she took some swabs and asked advice from the doctor across the hall. After I showed my twice daily pics of the progress of the lesions we came to a diagnosis. I had come down with a case of Erythema Multiforme. No real cause, no surety of disappearing, or reappearing.

Ironically, if I had been on my Lupus/ Arthritis medication I would not have suffered through this terrible illness, as the treatment is an immuno-suppressant. By now, I have just learned to take this kind of twist as a cheeky wink from the universe.

And that my friends is my life for the moment.


  1. Nicole Davis 04/05/2014 at 8:45 pm

    Oh man. That was a definite Relapse. I realize this was written a couple of years ago, thank you for pointing it out to me. How long did it take to get things back under control? No more breaks from Plaquenil since then I’m guessing? 😉

    • jessieefrost 04/05/2014 at 9:40 pm

      Oh definitely no breaks from Plaquenil, if I forget it for a weekend I still get lesions now. Plaquenil took a bit to get used to and I am familiar with APS too. I think by now, if you are on your full dose you should be sitting pretty sweet for most stuff, but I imagine it may take your muscles and your joints longer to come back. I would actually recommend Stott Pilates on the mat, with a physiotherapist, if this option is available to you. I found that slowly developing my muscle strength in Pilates took a lot of the burden off my joints. I’m not saying it will be easy, I was in beginners classes for 6-8 months and I worked at about 1/4 the intensity of everyone else in the class. but long term I can’t describe the relief. I think our muscles deteriorate and then the Lupus becomes worse because the skeleton just collapses in to the joints. But I am not a health professional so this is an amateur opinion.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.